The grapefruit diet is one of the first notorious Hollywood fad diets. You can read about them here.
It actually started back to the 1930s, and numerous Hollywood celebrities of the time lived by it. It remained extremely popular until the middle of the 1970’s, then it just became one of the many fad diets that were being faxed around the planet from office to office.
The diet is attributed to the Mayo Clinic and is sometimes referred to as the Mayo Clinic Grapefruit diet and the 12 day grapefruit diet, but the Mayo Clinic clearly states that it has nothing to do with this diet and that the diet is not healthy for you.
Here’s What We Can Find Out
Initially the grapefruit diet was an Atkins style diet that added one half grapefruit before each meal. You were not allowed to cheat on this diet, with only three meals a day and no in between meals or snacks. The diet claimed that individuals could lose 10 pounds in 10 days, or 5 pounds in five days.
Another statement that is commonly claimed is that the weight loss participate may not lose any weight in the first four days but after that 5 pounds would apparently drop off on the fifth day. It was based on the claim that grapefruit contains fat burning enzymes, something that has never been proven scientifically.
What is the Success Rate
Scientific research in 2004 revealed that it is feasible that the grapefruit diet assists individuals to lose weight. Individuals in the research reduced their weight by 3.6 pounds on average in a 12 week period, consuming one half of a grapefruit before each meal.
Those who were drinking the 18 ounce serving of grapefruit juice at each meal lost slightly less weight in the same time frame.
A large number of the dieting participants reduced their weight by more than 10 pounds in the first 12 weeks. The physician who supervised the research found that the grapefruit diet seems to reduce levels of insulin in the body.
However, all the participants slightly enhanced their physical activity programs, which may account for their actual weight loss.
For those that are looking for the Grapefruit Diet Menu below are the dieting rules:
– It is a requirement that you drink eight 8 ounce glasses of water every day.
– Each meal is only to be eaten until you feel full.
– Everything listed must e consumed at each meal, you can not skip foods you don’t like, they have been specifically formulated to assist fat burning.
– The catalyst is the Grapefruit that starts fat burning process. You must eat the same amount of grapefruit.
– Make sure to only have one cup of coffee per meal.
– Definitely no snack foods between meals.
– You are allowed to use butter in moderation.
– Desserts, breads, white vegetables, or sweet potatoes are not allowed.
– Meat can be eaten in any quantity, salad and vegetables to make you full.
– It’s essential to eat until you’re full as the more you eat the more you will lose, that is the idea anyway.
– The plan is to stay on the diet for 12 days then skip two days, then start over again (12 day Grapefruit diet).
– Half a grapefruit is what you need to eat, or you can drink an 18 ounce glass of grapefruit, with each meal.
This has been posted for those that have been sending requests about “I am looking for the grapefruit diet”.
However we do not endorse this diet in any way remember is an unofficial Mayo Clinic Diet, and for those that are looking to actually lose weight and be healthy while doing so you should consider reading this post here.